Pages

Monday, August 02, 2010

Passion

What are you passionate about?

I seldom make logical conclusions, even though I remain highly rational in thought, I choose to let emotions take over at the end, because I still believe in what my heart tells me to do.

Many a times, I get disheartened by the realities of life; I failed to land my dream job as a copywriter despite graduating from university a year ago. I was in self-reproach during this period of time:

"Forget big names, why can't I even get a junior position as a copywriter elsewhere?"

"Man, they're drawing good salaries and enjoying their work, what am I doing?"

Jealously crept in, it was inevitable. It aggravated the blame that I was freelancing (read: a pleasant term to replace unemployment), struggling to make ends meet, while giving myself more time and space to rework my portfolio:

"Ah, such a convenient excuse!"

It was. I moved on from the incessant, tormenting monologues, giving much thought to how my reworked portfolio would feel like instead, but what I really wanted, was to get out of the country. I felt suffocated and estranged by the words and motivations of the people around me; a breath of fresh air, a change of landscape and pace, was something I needed.

So I went to London, where my long lost interest in the performing arts was revived. I wasn't born to sing (a recent trial recording went awry and I am somewhat, devastated), but I always had the reflexes and agility to dance. I was the bouncy kid some of my friends have come to know me as back in secondary school, I watched musicals and dance productions as often as I could with friends who shared the passion for the performing arts, but I knew my parents wouldn't approve of me attending arts school, knowing full well that I'd stick out as a sore thumb among cousins who were academically inclined.

And so I was herded along the educational system, unwillingly.

Till this day, I'm pursuing what eventually evolved out of my ability to write, to better express myself through words, to make a living out of writing in context for different industries and scenarios. But here I am, half past two in the morning, introspecting to a piano tune I'm used to listening.

So the question begets, what are you passionate about?

Passion is a positive, compelling emotion that springs me to action. At a certain stage of my university education, I was fiercely in love with words; the beauty of expressing oneself through poems, stories and songs. That hasn't waned as much as I feared, but passion is not one-sided.

Had I not been exposed to influences such as my wonderful English teacher who got me interested in linguistics, media such as Glee on television and Wicked on West End, there wouldn't be the revival of my other passion in the performing arts. So I'd like to thank my friends who have supported and encouraged me in the decision to pursue the performing arts.

It doesn't matter if I'm just a swing playing minor roles in a small production, as long as my passion burns fervently, with hard work and supportive friends, I know my passion will bring me fulfillment money can't.

So, what are you truly passionate about? Share with me your thoughts, and oh, if you've read till this bit, drop me a message so that I know you've been here. Cheers!

No comments: